Thursday, January 27, 2011

ethics of consumption

I have a consumption pattern I would consider mostly that of an average middle class American. I eat about 3 meals each day, but I do make my first meal only a bowl of cereal with a bit of milk. One thing I do regularly is buy local food, and pay close attention to the date of expiration so I can stretch the product to its capacity. I don't necessarily do this for the environment or for the local sustainability principles. I am a cautious food consumer because I am a "poor college student" and need to be aware of these things. It just so happens that the way I consume is quite sustainable.
I feel that many people don't consume in healthy patterns for the purpose of being sustainable. I believe they do it out of ease or so they can say they are sustainable consumers. Everyone has their own reason for everything they do.
Being a college student, at least in Athens, means there are not many chances to be seriously over-consuming. I borrow money from the government for school and pay for my books, bills and groceries with my small income. I want to own many things, but I won't buy unnecessary stuff until I know I can afford it comfortably, and will never regret the purchase. Even though my food consumptions is not conscious, I do often think hard about the processes that products go through before I purchase them. I find it very helpful to do so. Half of the time I find myself returning the product to the shelf or leaving the entire cart full of items behind. Many times I stop myself because of the disgust I feel when I see row after row of obese customers with their obese offspring with carts full of soda, frozen dinners and cigarettes, only to get to the checkout and pay out of their welfare envelopes.
I guess what I'm saying here is that my consciousness of the serious over-consumption around me leads me to make choices that are more healthy, for myself and the environment. Ethically, my choices reflect my embarrassment of our common society. I like to think my choices don't go unnoticed, and maybe even make up for those hogs "living high on the hog" that I just mentioned.

3 comments:

  1. I too consume based on my budget. I am glad you mention the welfare system. I think that it is a good system for temporary help but a lot of people abuse the system and I think the government is working on stopping this abuse. I do think we should limit their purchases to healthy and non sugar items. If we put limits on welfare purchases we would be saving in money and in medical bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would like to comment on your blog and what richard said because that would be really interesting thing for the gov't to do. This would be especially interesting because it is also shown that in poor areas there are weight issues because cheaper food less healthy and tends to be also bad for the environment. It is an interesting idea that is that would have more affects than i think expected. but to comment on the fact that more money means buying more is proved with everyones frase money is burning hole in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point how healthy food is more expensive than junk food, and that local food is more expensive than other food. It makes it tough for college kids like us to eat more sustainably.

    ReplyDelete